Who's Lookin'

Thursday, September 6, 2012

Catching a Break

Lately I have had my eyes opened to the strength of my mother in a very unfortunate way. In November of 2011 my mother's aunt passed away. Daffy, as everyone who knew her called her, was a major fixture in my mom's life. She was constantly at our house for holidays and my mom was always dropping in to see her and her sister.
You see, my grandma died when I was three. My little sister was two weeks old. Imagine the impact that had on my mom, her daughter. My mom trucked right on through, raised two beautiful, brilliant and happy girls. She did that with the help of her mother's sisters. Daffy was the lighthearted version of my great Aunt VonDean. "Deanie" was not only my mom's aunt, but a very close friend and a great supporter of everything my mom did. She was a surrogate grandmother to my sister and me and she was the epitome of a matriarchal dragon. We all loved her and her scary, teacher ways. She taught for many many years and managed to keep her wits about her until the very end. That is a feat I hope to manage in my career.
Deanie just recently passed away. My mother was devastated. Heartbroken, she still manages to put on that happy front, go about her daily routine and still take care of my family. Not just her children and husband but her cousins, nieces and nephews, siblings, and her one remaining aunt. Now tell me how I can ever live up to the woman who raised me. I don't know if I can ever meet her standards.
And now to top it all off; my mother recently hired my cousin, who happens to be one of my best friends. Lately we've grown apart but my mom didn't care and helped him out when she had an opening. He wrecked his motorcycle this evening. My mom, once again, is at the hospital. Waiting. Which everyone knows is the hardest part. I am going home tomorrow as soon as I get off of work to be with her. I am crying just thinking of all the strain and heartache my mom is having to endure this year and I only pray her health holds up and she makes it through this okay.
I know God is bigger than all of this, I know He has a plan. And right now I know my entire family is leaning heavily on Him. Please keep us all in your prayers, and know that you will be in mine. Whether you are encountering a problem like mine or something completely different, I will pray.

No comments:

Post a Comment