Who's Lookin'

Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Mr. Wesley

So today I went to get my mail and I spotted my neighbor across the street in his doorway. He waved, so I waved back. Then I grabbed my mail and walked indoors. A few minutes passed and then I felt guilty. I wondered why, I had waved back! It's was because of my retreat. I have never had a problem with the elderly, I actually enjoy visiting with those who have seen and done everything I'm going to go through. Their wisdom is priceless. The problem is (from my perspective) Mr. Wesley is 92 years old. He is from Ohio and he has a daughter in New York, who is my parents age.

I don't know how to relate to him. The only topics I feel are common ground are the weather (HOT) and our days (mine=monotanous, his=boring). There isn't much there. He loves talking about his experiences and I love listening, but I only have sparse furniture so it's hard to accomidate, and I have nothing to offer in the way of snacks or drinks.

I guess my newest goal to add to my list is to make time to make conversation with him. I mean how hard can it be to find something he'd enjoy talking about?

No comments:

Post a Comment